"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive." Anaïs Nin


Need to change text size? Click one of these:
Small Medium Large Larger Largest

Want to read this post later? Send it to your Kindle reader:

Send to Kindle

Monday, November 14, 2011

"A Survival Guide for New Deafies!" by Amy Sargent.

I loved this book. Whether you are new to deafness and hearing loss, or not, there are things a person can learn through this book and the perspectives of deafness Amy shares. There are excellent tips for friends and relatives to learn as well. Even if you aren't deaf or losing your hearing, this is a wonderful, delightful book to read. Amy's life lessons and journey to deafness are sad, funny and enlightening. I recommend this book to EVERYONE.

This is my original tweet to Amy after I had started reading her book, "A Survival Guide for New Deafies!"
"@DeafGirlAmy LOVE your book!! I wish it was available when I started going deaf in my 20's and 30's. My progression was slower than yours. Had your book been available then, I would have adapted so much better with the onset deafness and not have isolated myself ~ @XpressiveHandz"

You can find excerpts from Amy's book on her website here:

http://deafgirlamy.com/

Be sure to order a copy for yourself while you're there, or for someone you love who is dealing with hearing loss.

2 comments:

  1. I Loved your book. I have had deafness in my rt ear since 5th grade. I am now in my 50's and am losing high frequency sounds now. Being a nurse, it is very frightening, but technology is helping me.
    Thanks so much for writing your book. I just realized that I am now significantly hard of hearing in my good ear, and I needed an idea of how to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous! I will pass this along to my friend Amy who wrote the book. She will love to know this.

    ReplyDelete