"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive." Anaïs Nin


Need to change text size? Click one of these:
Small Medium Large Larger Largest

Want to read this post later? Send it to your Kindle reader:

Send to Kindle

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Please Don't Pet Me (written by Holden, a Service Dog for Susquehanna Service Dogs

I will admit that I've actually followed a couple of dogs on Twitter, my favorite one is @dogwalkblog (Rufus actually knows more of what's going on in our political world than most humans). I was delightfully surprised to find this informative blog post written by one of Susquehanna Service Dogs, Holden. Here's his no bones about it advice on etiquette when you see a dog working with its partner.
http://www.forcivilminds.org/2011/08/10/please-don%E2%80%99t-pet-me/#more-150
Visit Susquehanna Service Dog's Home Page Here  http://www.keystonehumanservices.org/susquehanna-service-dogs/default.php

This is the third blog post shared by Susquehanna Service Dogs in honor of International Service Dog Week

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! We often walk with three dogs who are very well-behaved, but one GSB gets spooked around bicycles and small kids, a lab-mix loves kids but is totally unaware of how large she is and the hound is just too darn friendly. So trying to keep all these three very distinct personalities walking in a straight line requires all the brain power and concentration I need, all the time.

    So when parents are walking along and their kids are running back and forth and they don't respect that I have pulled over onto the grass area to let THEM walk by, I get a bit... well, pissed off! The dogs won't be the ones suing the kids for messing up their coats; it always goes the other way around.

    And the lab thinks when I talk to someone, it is ok to wag her tail and run up to them. It isn't, but she has such a good heart. So please, please, please. When I'm walking DO NOT TALK TO ME!!! Really, it is ok. I'm not being rude, just safe.

    Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Rufus. My mother taught me to ask permission first, and we have taught our Little Fellow the same etiquette, for ANY dog and their owner/partner/handler/walker. Thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete