"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive." Anaïs Nin


Need to change text size? Click one of these:
Small Medium Large Larger Largest

Want to read this post later? Send it to your Kindle reader:

Send to Kindle

Monday, July 1, 2013

ASL Tip When Relocating

My family and I just finished a month of ASL classes together at a church over near Lancaster. Though I had taken classes before where I used to live decades ago, I would suggest anyone moving to another area to take ASL classes in their new community. There are many signs and idioms that evolve within closed communities that are different from other regions. I wish I had figured this out sooner. Many signs I had learned years ago aren't used in the area I currently live.

My vocabulary and knowledge has been greatly enriched from these classes. Our teacher provided many of the origins of how the signs came to be. I was always interested in the study of etymology when I was younger. I took French and Spanish in school. Though I couldn't hear or speak them well, I could read and write them decently. I noticed how many words were similar with spelling and meaning. This interest is flowing over into Sign Language, wanting to know the origin and history behind the signs.

I would recommend anyone relocating to sign up for classes and not only will you learn the idioms of the area, you will meet interesting people in your new community.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds cool. If I find a class near Tehachapi, California I will sign up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great tip, Xpressive Handz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find a class I your area, Neil.

      Thank you, Sarah.

      Delete