"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive." Anaïs Nin


Need to change text size? Click one of these:
Small Medium Large Larger Largest

Want to read this post later? Send it to your Kindle reader:

Send to Kindle

Saturday, March 2, 2013

History + Culture: "Switched at Birth" Revisits the "Uprising" of 1988

Monday March 4th is the air date for ABC's groundbreaking episode of "Switched at Birth" aptly titled "Uprising". The episode will be in ASL ONLY and  open captioned for ALL.

This episode will explore the historical uprising of the student protest at Gallaudet University in 1988. The Daily Beast covers this story and the history  http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/02/28/abc-family-s-switched-at-birth-asl-episode-recalls-gallaudet-protest.html

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this!

    I've written a blog post with my personal perspective on the importance of having more deaf characters (and other people experiencing marginalization) in fiction, sharing my experience with the first time I "met me" in a book contrasted with my experience with "Switched at Birth": http://ramblingjustice.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/1st-met-me/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea,

      Thank you for stopping by. I especially want to thank you for sharing your post with us. I used to read some of the Bobbsey Twins books years ago, but I missed the one you mentioned. You so eloquently described your feelings, and on behalf of the rest of us, I thank you. I will be sharing your link on FaceBook and Twitter.

      Delete