"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive." Anaïs Nin


Need to change text size? Click one of these:
Small Medium Large Larger Largest

Want to read this post later? Send it to your Kindle reader:

Send to Kindle

Friday, March 29, 2013

BioAid for iPhone

I was excited to see this posted over on The Limping Chicken. Technology is an awesome thing. We have such creative people designing apps and other gadgets to make life more accessible for the disabled. Take a phone, for instance, and turn it into a hearing aid!

Although this is just being designed, I see wonderful possibilities in the future. I downloaded and installed this app on my Iphone. It works! However, it is not appropriate for someone with my kind of hearing loss, I can see that this most likely works for SOME people who have a mild loss.

As my 9 year old and I dabbled with this app, we agreed that it would work better if it did not pick up the voice of the person using it as a hearing aid. This can be remedied easily with some of the fabulous speech recognition technology out there. All they have to do is add a "my voice" gadget where a person can speak into the mic and then an option to "mute THIS voice" and voila... you would pick up only the voices of those speaking around you and not your own voice.

Anyone can download and check out this FREE app https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bioaid/id577764716  Read more about it at the Limping Chicken here: http://limpingchicken.com/2013/03/27/deaf-news-mobile-app-turns-iphone-into-a-hearing-aid/

No comments:

Post a Comment