"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive." Anaïs Nin


Need to change text size? Click one of these:
Small Medium Large Larger Largest

Want to read this post later? Send it to your Kindle reader:

Send to Kindle

Thursday, July 7, 2011

We're Just Like Other Expectant Parents!

Last night, before Fabulous husband and I settled in to drift off to sleep, we discussed names for the new member of the family we're expecting. We were coming up with gender names, and shortly after waking up this morning, it dawned on me that we can even use a name that isn't gender specific or even traditional for that matter. I had forgotten how fun this could be, the excitement, the anticipation, wondering about the personality our new member will have and wondering when we can bring him/her home.

As I moved a few things around in our room the day before to make room for the new bed near the window, I couldn't help but smile as I thought of going through this very process when I was expecting my daughter twenty eight years ago. Her name was an easy pick because because her dad and I both had mothers named Mary, as well as a grandmother named Mary. We struggled with a name for a boy, and never really quite settled on one, but that was just as well since we didn't need one. I didn't name my son, either. He already had his name when I adopted him.

This time, it's a little different. The new member will be choosing us just as much as we will be choosing them. We had our home visit with Patti Forker from Keystone Human Services last night as part of the process of adopting and being adopted by a Hearing Service Dog from Susquehanna Service Dogs. The more we move through the process, the more exciting we're becoming, just like parents awaiting the arrival of a baby. Though this is a working dog, a partner to help me hear, the relationship and bonding processes are really no different from other familial relationships. We will be responsible for the health and welfare, both physical and emotional for our new member. We want the best for them and preparing our home and ourselves for this huge step for the lifetime of this new member is much the same as expecting any other new addition to our family.

I've always said, "Pets are family, too".

No comments:

Post a Comment