"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive." Anaïs Nin


Need to change text size? Click one of these:
Small Medium Large Larger Largest

Want to read this post later? Send it to your Kindle reader:

Send to Kindle

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

My Speech at "Focus on People Awards" and our interviews

Below are 2 videos from the Oticon "Focus on People Awards" 2014. The 1st video is my speech. I want to thank Teresa Russ for providing the captions for my video. Click the CC button for the captions. If you need captioning added to your videos, I highly recommend Teresa. The 2nd video shows the interviews of each of us discussing our thoughts regarding role models.


https://youtu.be/wT7Ak2eJf0w

Teresa Russ, CSR, CRI
Lic.#13770
Certified Court Reporter
CART/Provider Captioner
(For the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing)


Transcript:
Oticon's Focus on People Award 
2014 Award Recipient Joyce Edmiston 
Oticon Speech by Joyce Edmiston 
Thank you, Maria.   
I want to thank Oticon, and I want to thank the staff at Hearing and Hearing Aid Services, and, especially, Lisa - excuse me. 
Especially, Cindy Lipman, who was very generous with her time in fitting me with my brand new Oticon Alta Hearing Aids.  They are fabulous.   
[Laughter] 
[Applause].   
And I would like to thank my fabulous husband.  I would not be here today without his support.   
When I told him that I was thinking about writing a blog, he said you should, and when Speak Up Librarian, Sarah WegleyOticon's former advocate of the year award winner in 2011, when she told me that she had nominated me for this award, I was speechless and humbled.   
It was Sarah's blog actually that prompted me to look online for other people who were talking about their own hearing losses, experiences, and there weren't very many out there.  Though we’re a small group, we seem to have a very large readership.   
Through my blog, I have over 47 countries, 47 countries reaching out, looking for others like us and reading our stories.  We're not alone.   
When I started blogging, I admit it was totally selfish.  It was my therapy, but, eventually, people started writing to me and saying, you know, I had this experience, and I had that experience; so I opened my blog to guest writers, and I welcome anybody to join their voice in writing what they feel that's on their heart because, you see, the blog isn't just mine.  It's ours.   
We are the masters of our circumstances, and as masters of our circumstances, we can bring about awareness, and we can make positive changes for our world today, not just for us, but for future generations, and I am very positive that we have the bright shining light of our future with the help of Oticon, and the wonderful generous support that they offer -- the technology, the doctors, the audiologists, the technical geniuses behind the community, and the company, and I thank you.   
[Applause] 
Once again congratulations.  Take your award.  Thank you.  You can take this.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment