"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive." Anaïs Nin


Need to change text size? Click one of these:
Small Medium Large Larger Largest

Want to read this post later? Send it to your Kindle reader:

Send to Kindle

Thursday, September 18, 2014

September 16, 2014: Our Journey Begins


We left Mount Joy yesterday around 3:30 pm. Gary got the car dolly hooked up to the RV and we are on our way.

We took 81 through Maryland and West Virginia and Virginia.

We spent our first night on the road in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

I was exhausted from all the packing these past few days and really looking forward to climbing into bed. Did I say “climb”? Good. Because it would take a skilled climber to make it up on top of the master bed if you have short legs like me.

The sleeping bags we put over the sheets have shiny, slippery material on the outside. I kept slipping off the edge of the bed each time I attempted to get up in there. Gary had to come help me up by grabbing my feet before I slid back down off the mattress and pushing me up. I was laughing so hard, it's a wonder B. Boy didn't wake up.

One never knows what one will see along the way. I caught this gorilla waving his banana at us as we sped by along a country road. 



We stopped and toured the Natural Bridge in Virginia. It was a gorgeous morning on the trail. We walked all the way down the trail to the bridge then onto the Monacan Indian village and beyond that to the end at Lace Falls.

B. Boy found a peculiar looking rock that looked like a goblin's nose. He started getting silly with other hikers on the trail trying to scar them with it.



Along the way, we saw a beautiful blue Heron take flight and it flew up along the creek just above the water. When I got near the falls, B. Boy found 2 caterpillars and tried to take one home. He didn't get very far on the trail when I saw him talking to other tourist. I walked up to them and asked them if he was showing them his “goblin nose Rock”. They said no it was a Catapillar.

I had to explain to him that once again he could not take creatures from their habitats away from their families. That they need to stay with the families where they live so they can grow and have babies and populate the earth with more creatures like themselves..

Gary set up the timer on the camera so that we could have photos of ourselves with the waterfall behind us. He got some lovely photos along the way. I love traveling with Gary because he likes to take photos and enjoy the areas, not just race through one place and the next. I really like that. I enjoy spending time enjoying the moment and taking it in.

After we left the Natural Bridge in Virginia we continued on through the day towards Eric's house in Mount Juliet, Tennessee. It was a beautiful drive, though incredibly long. 

I'm amazed at how long and how far we drove the motorhome today. I understand now that it has about a 50 gallon tank. The car is doing well on the tow dolly, we just have to make sure we stop all the time so the straps can be tightened and whatever else Gary needs to do to make sure it's all in place.

It was really good to finally arrived at Eric's. He looks good, and it's hard to believe it's been five years since we have seen him. 






































Gary took photos, too! check out his Natural Bridge album at https://www.flickr.com/photos/hipfotoguy/sets/72157647717954125/







No comments:

Post a Comment